Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Christine's Marine Science Syllabus

http:// http:// http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfjqwmsb_2gwkh8vdm
For our first assignment we had to write a syllabus for a class that was not offered by UC, but one that we would like to take. Although I'm not a marine science major, I've always been extremely interested in the ocean. I had wanted to be a marine biologist since I can remember. Oddly enough, I didn't want to be a dolphin trainer like most kids, but I wanted to study stingrays. I've always had this weird obsession with stingrays, not what you would normally think a 12 year old would want to do. So when thinking about college in highschool, I definitely wanted to get as far away from Cincinnati as possible, I even registered for classes at Coastal Carolina University, but my senior year took a trip to the Florida Keys with my marine biology class and absolutely HATED it. I love to read about the ocean and love to go to the ocean for vacation, but I knew I couldn't do that for the rest of my life. So yeah, now I'm here in Cincinnati, where I swear it has been winter for about 6 months now. Ughh... So, for my syllabus I chose an experiential/experimental Marine Science course. Pretty much a class where you get to go out to sea, snorkel and SCUBA dive all day and just experience things the way they are. I specifically chose blues as the colors for my font because of the ocean. And I tried to make the course sound pretty easy-going, purposefully. I wanted it to sound like a class everyone would want to take, because I think anyone would want to go out on a boat and snorkel. I made the grades mostly based on attendance and participation because I believe that it's hard for students to really learn something without experiencing it themselves. I guess that's because I'm a hands-on kind of person. I also added some pictures of snorkeling and SCUBA diving, because that way my "students" can actually see that this is what they will be doing for the next couple of months or so, and to get them excited and pumped up for the course. I found this assignment fun and stressful, I can honestly say that I would hate being a professor, typing up all those rules and schedules because I'm a very "go with the flow" person. But I can understand why many professors write up their "rules of the road" and such because they just want to be up-front and honest with their students.

No comments:

Post a Comment